Is RU-486 Safe?
We hear the topic of abortion being discussed, condemned, and praised on a regular basis. But do we really know the details about what happens during an abortion? Do we know that there are three different methods of abortion: surgical, medical, and chemical?
I must be honest when I say that I really didn’t know fully about these three methods until last year when I took some time to read about them. Today let’s focus on medical abortion.
Here are the facts you need to know:
1. A medical abortion is a non-surgical form of abortion that involves the administration of drugs specifically intended to kill a child.
2. This procedure can only be performed during the first trimester of your pregnancy.
3. There are many types of medical abortions; the most commonly used is Mifepristone (RU-486).
4. RU-486 blocks a hormone called progesterone from reaching the baby.
5. Blocking progesterone results in the breaking down of the lining of the mother’s uterus, cutting off blood and nourishment to the baby. This results in the child’s death.
6. Twenty-four to forty-eight hours later, the woman must take another drug called Misoprostol (Cytotec) which will cause severe cramping, contractions, and bleeding so that the baby is eventually expelled from the womb.
7. Most women bleed for 9-16 days. During this time, her baby is expelled. Sadly, the child is often flushed down the toilet.
Want to learn more?
Live Action has recently released a video series that explicitly demonstrates what happens during an abortion. Many people find these difficult to watch. I actually cringed and looked away at one point, as it was too upsetting. But, this is the truth about abortion. We must know that this is our reality. And we must share this reality with others. If we allow ourselves and others to live in ignorance, we will never see an end to the slaughter of innocent babies.