Sadly, summer has ended and school has begun. However, a new school year offers unique opportunities to share the pro-life message with friends and peers. Here are some practical ways we can do this:
- Wear pro-life clothing or wrist bands. There are many awesome pro-life T-shirts out there! Oftentimes, the proceeds go to supporting pro-life organizations. Wearing a pro-life T-shirt or sweatshirt is definitely a bold move and will attract attention. You may get some weird looks and maybe even laughed at or yelled at for sharing your pro-life views. However, it may also lead to some interesting conversations. To be honest, I like the attention the bold messages bring—not because people are looking at me, but because there is an opportunity to talk about the pro-life message to someone who otherwise wouldn’t have had a reason to ask questions. Check out our awesome T-shirts here!
2. Know and understand the facts. In order to be able to share the truth with people in a confident and passionate way, we must know what we are talking about. Learn the reasons behind the answers we give so that you are ready to defend the rights of the unborn. Life Defenders, and Live Action are both great sites to learn about the abortion procedure, about Planned Parenthood, about the development of a baby in the womb, and about the value and dignity of every human person. Form a pro-life group with friends where you can learn about these important topics. If you need suggestions or help in starting a group, follow this simple guide.
3. Pray outside an abortion clinic. Studies have shown that when there are several people praying outside an abortion clinic, up to 70% of the clinic’s patients cancel their appointments or just don’t show up. Though it is spiritually draining to stand on the front lines and offer support to mothers who ignore you, it is a privilege and a unique opportunity to be the last person a woman in pain will see. You can be that person who offers support and comfort. Join thousands of people all over the country and take part in the annual 40 Days For Life. Be the voice for the voiceless.
4. Start promoting the March for Life around your home, school and church. January comes faster than you think! Start telling friends about the opportunity to travel to Washington, DC and March with thousands of people, demanding that our nation respects the lives of the unborn. This year the march will be on Friday, January 18, 2019.
5.Most importantly, pray. St. Padre Pio said: “Prayer is the best weapon we possess. It is the key that opens the heart of God.” We should never forget that we are in a spiritual war between good and evil. We are God’s soldiers fighting against Satan—a very real and very present evil power. Without God, we can do nothing. Offer the joys and sorrows of your day for an end to abortion. Ask your parish priest if you can organize a holy hour for the intention of ending abortion and for bringing healing to all those suffering from the effects of abortion.
To paraphrase Bishop Barron, we are all notes in God’s divine symphony. Each note adds to the beauty of the piece and we all have a role to play in the great symphony of life. We must be ready to share the truth of the sacredness of life with conviction and in a compassionate way.
“Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you.”
- Margaret Haislmaier is the Youth Outreach Coordinator for Life Defenders. She spends a lot of her time volunteering with the high school and middle school youth at her parish.